Saturday, May 31, 2008

Carried Away

For the first time, I could identify with those wacky Star Wars fanatics; I even thought about how past generations must have felt the frenzy of Margaret Mitchell's GWTW. I am speaking of the Sex and City Movie. Nearly, a week later I still have remnants of the excitement of the movie running around in my body, like a kid who has twirled themselves around with their eyes closed.
More than just a media artifact, it was the first time women--had a movie of their own. More than a romantic comedy this movie revealed vulnerablility and boldness that is not often shown on the movie screens. It was more than the Carrie's quest for finding true love, it was about her knowing that that path is not always easy. And if she didn't make it --the human spirit is resilient.
I cried at several parts of the film. I felt the fury of woman scorned when Carrie was humiliated. I identified with Charlotte's instinct to protect her friend from pain. I understood Miranda's shock after Steve revealed his infidelity. Those parts illustrated real sadness, which every person can identify.
Oh but I laughed, too. At the crazy outfits, Carrie's puns, and Samantha's voyeuristic nature. It warmed my heart. Every part of this movie was meaningful. And it was a nice ending to characters who take up space in the brain, long after the credits roll.
The plot aside, this film brought women of all ages and races together. It was so cool to see women dressed as Carries, Samantha's in their sexiest outfits, and sweet Charlotte's in full skirt dresses. And in this economy, where everything is so bleak, this was a bright spot of hope, and a great way to start summer.

3 comments:

Nina said...

shan, just reading your blog made me relive all of the emotions I felt watching that movie. I'm such a sap-I'm sitting here now with tears in my eyes thinking about Charlotte's protection of Carrie. (such a good friend!)

Design Diva said...

hey, i dont know why it showed up as "Nina" but that comment's from me. -Ann

Minordetails15 said...

hey, shannon--

great insight, no matter how old you are, what color you may be the movie brought u-n-i-t-y to all.